Re: [ft-devel] A review of ttfauthint by designer of Siri

From: vernon adams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] A review of ttfauthint by designer of Siri
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 07:38:52 +0000

On 10/02/12 03:07, Infinality wrote:

Hi Erik!

"Distortion measurement" and "outline optimization" is what's needed.
Not sure if this is easier, but I've thought that the easiest way
conceptually would be to force at least 1 pixel between any two
horizontal stems when available. Like, if you have 5px of height to work
with, and 3 horizontal stems, you would always hint them to snap pixel
1, 3, and 5. Then the "e" will always look normal. (i.e. This won't
happen: http://www.freetype.org/autohinting/image/hinted_e.png).

That makes good sense. Of course you would have to go one step further - the lower edge of the gap between the 'i' stem and the 'i' dot must then serve as the x-height for the whole font.

Of course, if you only have 4px of height you have to make a choice.

Yes, and it's the same choice you'd have to make if your were manually instructing the font. Manually of course you could also instruct so that with the x-height at 5 pixels a delta instruction forced the dot of 'i', 'j' etc to get placed 1 pixel above that x-height, instead of in the pixel directly above the x-height.

I'm pretty sure that (at least some of) the issues with the main body of
i and j touching the dot will go away if the x-height can be made lower,
in cases where this happens.

I would be very interested to see that in action, and see what difference it would make to GUIs running on freetype-based OS's. I guess it would create the difference that you see in my screenshots at http://code.newtypography.co.uk/?p=2265
It's a matter of taste which one is preferred.

-v

Erik / Infinality