Re: [ft-devel] A review of ttfauthint by designer of Siri

From: vernon adams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] A review of ttfauthint by designer of Siri
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 23:17:14 +0000

On 10/02/12 17:41, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

Vern,

thanks for the images.

My point is that the freetype autohinter should (if possible) render
x-heights&  cap heights the same as the freetype bytecode
interpreter.  Though from your comment below, i think you are saying
it's not a good idea to force freetype to do that.

Well, `force' is the wrong word.  I simply don't think that the
autohinter can make the same decisions as the bytecode interpreter.

It's interesting, to my eyes the fonts render best under 'forced auto-hinting on', when viewing in ftview for example. Better than manually hinted fonts rendered with the bytecode interpreter.

Can anyone tell me what the equivalent is of 'forced auto-hinting on' under fontconfig settings? is it 'hinting' false, 'Autohinter' true, hintstyle 'full' ?

The fontconfig documentation suggest that hintstyle full works best with the bytecode interpreter. How does hintstyle effect BCI hinting and/or the autohinter?

-vern