Re: [ft-devel] New Infinality Release

From: Infinality
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] New Infinality Release
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 20:50:54 -0500

On 06/18/2012 03:50 PM, Alexei Podtelezhnikov wrote:
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Infinality <address@hidden> wrote:
On 06/18/2012 08:40 AM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
I really dislike how you disabled hinting in the x-direction.  [...]
Thanks for your reviews, and please continue.  I'm sure Erik will
collect them all :-)

Note that I won't do any changes right now; instead, I hope that
Erik's SSH problems are gone soon so that he can maintain the code by
himself.

Yep, I welcome reviews and suggestions for improvement.  Be gentle; I never
claimed to be a C coder and I'm still learning best-practice for these
things.

I think the patch is actually pretty clean and well separated from the
rest of the code with #ifdef's. The patch only intrudes into the
rounding routines to effectively disable them in x-direction. So I
suggest that you use "if (y-direction)" OUTSIDE the rounding functions
effectively skipping the functions.

Do you see my point?
Yes, and in fact I had tried going through the rounding functions recently to do simplification / cleanup. Like you said, I'm really only interested in ignoring x under most circumstances. I had originally left the possibility open to have a variable number of vertical gridlines per pixel, but after some time, I don't see why we would ever need to go to anything less than 64 per pixel, which is the max. I tinkered around with it in an attempt to do essentially what you describe here, but it ended up negatively impacting the rendering, probably due to some error on my part. I'll see if I can pick this up again, because I'd like to touch as little existing freetype code as possible with these enhancements.

Thanks,
Erik