Re: [ft-devel] "Inside the fastest font renderer in the world"

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] "Inside the fastest font renderer in the world"
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 16:19:36 -0400

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 3:42 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> A first step towards making this new renderer generally useful would
>> be to convert it or compile it (using the Crust compiler) to C.
>
> Is there a volunteer for this?  Raph is quite busy, he told me...

Conceptually, are we into parallelizing Freetype rendering engine? As
I alluded earlier this can be happily delegated to text layout
engines. Hence we used to care about thread safety in Freetype, while
the text layout engine is busy processing 8 letters at once. Raph uses
at least 8-core processor. I would be interested to see how his
renderer performs on a single core, without parallel tricks.

Thank you,
Alexei