Re: [ft-devel] "Inside the fastest font renderer in the world"

From: Ken Sharp
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] "Inside the fastest font renderer in the world"
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2016 09:21:24 +0100

At 09:09 05/08/2016 +0100, Graham Asher wrote:

I see your point, but I think that adding obfuscation (the extra complexity introduced by using C) to the code to support a tiny and vanishing minority of systems without C++ is not worth the bother; such systems would very probably not be able to run FreeType in any case because of lack of support for 32-bit integers; and I doubt very much whether they would have any need to rasterize glyphs.

Speaking for Ghostscript, this is not the case. We are required to support a number of embedded operating systems, many of which are of some degree of legacy and which have limited (if any) support for C++.

These platforms drive printers, which very much do have a need to render glyphs :-) Please don't assume that all glyph rendering is for screen display!

I no longer have responsibility for FreeType in Ghostscript, but if FT were to move to requiring C++ I think we would have to fork it (as we did once before) in order to maintain a pure C build. Personally, as one of the two people who did a load of work to get FreeType integrated into Ghostscript in place of the (old) fork that was being used, I'd be very disappointed to have to go back to using a fork.....

                        Ken