Re: [ft-devel] GETVARIATION and GETDATA

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] GETVARIATION and GETDATA
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 18:32:29 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 8/8/16, Alexei Podtelezhnikov <address@hidden> wrote:

> After stringing a lot
 of old MacOS executables, RoyalT seems to be the only one
 with GETDATA diagnostics. It is certain that GETDATA took
 some selector. Perhaps it is possible to play with RoyalT
 and find out the range of acceptable selectors and return
 values. But is it worth it? We found 3 fonts so far. This is
 a dump of related strings from RoyalT and RoyaTPPC. I am
 done with this.

Thanks for doing this. It is always good to have another pair of eyes.
Obviously there is no urgency to this at all, since we have found only 3 fonts
:-). And very old fonts too...

I was wondering about whether the later classic version of AAT editor had that,
but I have not had any chance of locating a binary. Did you?

Besides RoyalT, I actually found another piece of software containing the
GETDATA string: the QuickDraw GX graphics extension (i.e. the piece of system
code that hooks into the OS to provide GX related functionality) . That's fully
expected of course. It seems that it may be possible that RoyalT can edit GX
fonts on non-GX systems, so the same might be true for the later apple font
editor, just "not too late".