Re: [ft-devel] GETVARIATION and GETDATA

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] GETVARIATION and GETDATA
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 02:54:10 +0000 (UTC)

> May I encourage you to get Fonts folder from
 System 7.5 when GX was introduced (
http://igsi.tripod.com/mac/index.htm ).
 Perhaps those files will shed some light on GETDATA. Here is
 decent instructions on how to get to that folder (
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/58243/can-i-get-the-original-mac-font-chicago-on-a-mountain-lion-mac

 ). You can then zip the folder preserving the resource
 fork to share.

That piece of advice seems to be mis-informed, BTW. The Chicago font is Apple's
system font (used in the system menu's, etc). Therefore you can extract Chicago
from the _Installer_ disk image, because the installer GUI itself uses that
font in its unpacked form. For most other fonts, you need to get from a running
system of that era, or unpack the relevant installer bits from the installer
disk image. It is a lot harder.

Anyway, I have a working procedure, which is basically powering up a late Mac
OS Classic (i.e. 9.x) VM, and runs extraction tool of that era to unpack the
even earlier installers. But nothing interesting turns up.

So if anybody can say definitely *what* font uses these instructions, would be
useful...