Re: [ft-devel] Freetype controls for glyph brightness/contrast/weight?

From: Eric Rannaud
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Freetype controls for glyph brightness/contrast/weight?
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 22:21:35 -0700

I once considered this question with this very rough patch:
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/freetype-devel/2011-11/msg00023.html
And Infinality later supported the same idea via
INFINALITY_FT_FILTER_PARAMS, I believe.

At the time of that patch, there was some discussion of allowing the
setting of the individual filter weights through the freetype API and
possibly to expose this via fontconfig. It is a question of taste how
the filter should behave, one could argue. There always was a fair of
difference between Windows and OS X in this regard, for instance.
There may still be some interest in offering control over the LCD
filter, rather than via the other parameters you listed.

That being said, for a long time on my personal machine I would use
xgamma as a trick to force a "bolder" look for text. This is far from
ideal as it affects everything, not just text. I personally like the
modern output of freetype better than in the past, and with the advent
of high-res displays, this issue went away for me.