Re: [ft-devel] Freetype controls for glyph brightness/contrast/weight?

From: Michael Shell
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Freetype controls for glyph brightness/contrast/weight?
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 01:00:37 -0400

On Tue, 23 May 2017 22:21:35 -0700
Eric Rannaud <address@hidden> wrote:

> It is a question of taste how the filter should behave, one could
> argue. There always was a fair of difference between Windows and
> OS X in this regard, for instance.

Yeah, that's a bit of a problem - how can we precisely define what is
"correct", and if someone is doing something that differs from that
spec, then aren't they (e.g., Apple or Microsoft) "wrong"?

On the other hand, if we can't precisely define what is "correct"
then that itself is a big argument for users to be able to tweak
such settings. Also, I don't know the extent (if any) variations in
specific video drivers or physical screens play a role here (e.g.,
what an ideal bitmap for a given rendering resolution should look like
relative to what a user actually sees on their own particular screen).

On Wed, 24 May 2017 07:23:14 +0200
Nikolaus Waxweiler <address@hidden> wrote:

> you already can change from v40 to v35 using the FREETYPE_PROPERTIES
> environment variable.

Yes, but at some point version 35 will go away, right? And the later
versions of the interpreters do offer other improvements.

> They are misguided hacks that came to be because there is not a
> single toolkit in X11-land that ever rendered fonts correctly.

OK, but I would like to ask *why* is this? Why can't, say, the
GTK2/3+ folks, get this right after all this time?

  Cheers and thanks for the help,

  Mike