Re: [ft-devel] Freetype controls for glyph brightness/contrast/weight?

From: Markus Trippelsdorf
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Freetype controls for glyph brightness/contrast/weight?
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 11:48:30 +0200

On 2017.05.25 at 01:00 -0400, Michael Shell wrote:
> > They are misguided hacks that came to be because there is not a
> > single toolkit in X11-land that ever rendered fonts correctly.
>
> OK, but I would like to ask *why* is this? Why can't, say, the
> GTK2/3+ folks, get this right after all this time?

Because unfortunately freetype isn't fully ready yet.

QT 5.9 will render at least CFF fonts correctly (linear blended with
stem darkening) out of the box.

It would be better to just have a single freetype wide stem_darkening
parameter, instead of two (one for CFF and one for TTF).
But unfortunately currently stem_darkening for TTF depends on hinting
being turned on. Once that gets fixed, the two parameters could be
merged. And toolkits could start using it.

--
Markus