Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] [Doubt] Bitmap rendering

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] [Doubt] Bitmap rendering
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 23:34:00 +0200 (CEST)

Sorry for the late reply.  Academic life is quite time consuming in
the end of the semester.

> I've pushed the code to generate bitmaps and hashes to branch
> ksvsk_test (dirty).  Please look into it.

Thanks.  Some general remarks regarding coding style: For me,
consistency is extremely important.  On the other hand, I don't want
to enforce the admittedly strange coding style of FreeType itself.  A
good compromise is the style used for the `ftinspect' demo program,
and I ask you to follow.  In particular, there are

  . no tabs, only spaces

  . two spaces for indentation

  . no lines longer than 80 characters

  . always a newline at the end of a source code file

Note that this is something for a cleaned-up branch.

Please tell me again why you want to use the BMP format and not
something more compact – I forgot the reason...

> I am currently working on effective ways to visualize the glyph
> differences.  (as in proposal) I have tried testing the output using
> bitmaps but it is not visually appealing (for small sizes).  And for
> big sizes, there is no clarity after zooming in to see the
> differences.

Please show images.

> I am working on another way to visualize the pixel by pixel
> differences.  This can be done by creating a grid (like in ftgrid)
> of required size on the webpage and then coloring it so that each
> square denotes a pixel.  Performing all the calculations in C
> (calculating differences and making the final image) and then
> coloring the grid on webpage using this image data.

This sounds promising.  Again, as soon as you have a prototype,
generate images and send them to the list so that we can evaluate the
results, too.