Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] [Doubt] Bitmap rendering

From: k kushal
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] [Doubt] Bitmap rendering
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 23:16:06 +0530

Please tell me again why you want to use the BMP format and not
something more compact – I forgot the reason...

Well, this is the simplest / easiest way (not quite the compact way)
to display the pixel data and also it is quite fast.

Working well for 8-bit( I'm using this for monochrome and anti-aliased)
and 24-bit bitmaps(LCD rendering).

Also, I am able to reproduce them on browsers like
Mozilla/ IE / Chromium / Chrome / Microsoft Edge.

There is no information on web saying that it isn't supported by any specific browser.

I've thought of doing it using PNG but we need some external libraries for that (libpng).
Is there any other way to do that ?

> I am currently working on effective ways to visualize the glyph
> differences.  (as in proposal) I have tried testing the output using
> bitmaps but it is not visually appealing (for small sizes).  And for
> big sizes, there is no clarity after zooming in to see the
> differences.
Please show images.

I needed to get pixel by pixel view of the image without any smoothing.

By using these in CSS, this is achieved (all of them not needed, should check that).

img  {
    image-rendering: optimizeSpeed;             /* STOP SMOOTHING, GIVE ME SPEED  */
    image-rendering: -moz-crisp-edges;          /* Firefox                        */
    image-rendering: -o-crisp-edges;            /* Opera                          */
    image-rendering: -webkit-optimize-contrast; /* Chrome (and eventually Safari) */
    image-rendering: pixelated; /* Chrome */
    image-rendering: optimize-contrast;         /* CSS3 Proposed                  */
    -ms-interpolation-mode: nearest-neighbor;   /* IE8+
}

Problem Resolved.

> I am working on another way to visualize the pixel by pixel
> differences.  This can be done by creating a grid (like in ftgrid)
> of required size on the webpage and then coloring it so that each
> square denotes a pixel.  Performing all the calculations in C
> (calculating differences and making the final image) and then
> coloring the grid on webpage using this image data.

This isn't needed now.

This sounds promising.  Again, as soon as you have a prototype,
generate images and send them to the list so that we can evaluate the
results, too.

Will do ASAP.