Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] Extending the CF2 interpreter

From: Ewald Hew
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] Extending the CF2 interpreter
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 19:28:40 +0800

Hi,

I've pushed new updates to `wip'

The project compiles fine but there are still more things needed to
get the new interpreter to work in Type 1 mode. It seems to work fine
for old Type 1 and CFF engines, and new CFF, but it crashes in new
Type 1 mode due to missing fields in `PS_Decoder'.

Right now, in Type 1 mode it lacks the `current_subfont' field present
in CFF (and possibly font scaling/transform information - have not
confirmed this). As far as I can see, `current_subfont' is used to
access CFF private dict data. The straightforward but tedious fix is
adding a Type 1 mode to all the functions that access
`decoder->current_subfont' and have them go to `face->type1' where the
same data is stored for Type 1.

I'm figuring if I could instead synthesize a dummy subfont record for
Type 1, copying over relevant values, but I am stumped for a good
place to make that initialisation. (Doing it from the `type1' module
seems a little strange...)

Also, if possible, could you suggest a good CFF font for testing
changes? Right now, I'm using one from Google Fonts but it looks wonky
when hinted at small sizes, even on master branch. Perhaps there is
some font the appearance of which is already familiar to you (and
hence any regressions are more apparent) ?

Ewald