Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] Extending the CF2 interpreter

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] Extending the CF2 interpreter
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2017 19:10:14 +0200 (CEST)

> I've pushed new updates to `wip'

Thanks.  BTW, what shall happen with your other branches?  Are they
now obsolete?

> I'm figuring if I could instead synthesize a dummy subfont record
> for Type 1, copying over relevant values, ...

This sounds sensible.

> ... but I am stumped for a good place to make that initialisation.
> (Doing it from the `type1' module seems a little strange...)

Don't worry too much.  From my experience with similar decisions, you
will get a good feeling later on to which place the affected code
should be eventually moved (in case you feel it necessary to do so).

> Also, if possible, could you suggest a good CFF font for testing
> changes?  Right now, I'm using one from Google Fonts but it looks
> wonky when hinted at small sizes, even on master branch.  Perhaps
> there is some font the appearance of which is already familiar to
> you (and hence any regressions are more apparent) ?

It depends on what you want to test...

Ken Lunde has constructed some extreme CFF fonts for exactly such a
purpose; have a look at

  https://github.com/adobe-fonts

and check repositories like `adobe-notdef' or `fdarray-test'.