Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] Extending the CF2 interpreter

From: Ewald Hew
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] Extending the CF2 interpreter
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 11:54:01 +0800

>> I've pushed new updates to `wip'
>
> Thanks.  BTW, what shall happen with your other branches?  Are they
> now obsolete?

Sorry, that was unclear. I meant `ewaldhew-wip', which is for all
ongoing work. There's also `ewaldhew-cleaned', which is for
(hopefully) finalised stuff, with proper changelogs. I have no other
branches on savannah.

I have not found the need yet to do multiple topic branches, so my WIP
branch is just the one already up. That may change in the future if I
end up having to A/B test certain solutions.

>> I'm figuring if I could instead synthesize a dummy subfont record
>> for Type 1, copying over relevant values, ...
>
> This sounds sensible.

I'll proceed with this then. Actually, I've already done similarly for
`PS_Decoder' and `PS_Builder', which are basically wrappers over the
two kinds of decoders/builders. It seems to work fine and lets us keep
the old engine code unchanged.

> It depends on what you want to test...
>
> Ken Lunde has constructed some extreme CFF fonts for exactly such a
> purpose; have a look at
>
>   https://github.com/adobe-fonts
>
> and check repositories like `adobe-notdef' or `fdarray-test'.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Ewald