Re: [Freetype] using a Stroker to make a glyph border pixmap

From: George Ogata
Subject: Re: [Freetype] using a Stroker to make a glyph border pixmap
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:21:21 +1000

David Turner <address@hidden> writes:

> You're not doing anything wrong, it's simply that the stroker is still
> buggy (experimental).
>
> Well, to be honest, I *just* commited the 'last' fixes to the CVS
> Repository. May I encourage you to test the current code and report
> your results here ?
>
> Regards,
>
> - David Turner
> - The FreeType Project  (www.freetype.org)

Thanks.

I updated and it works perfectly for me now, _BUT_ I also noticed a
bug in my test program: the FT_Stroker_Set call had a comma before the
paren, effectively making that call a noop.  There, kids, is a perfect
example of why you should _always_ compile with all warnings
enabled... :)

So anyway, I downgraded back to 2.1.9, and found that the old stroker
seemed to _add_ the border outline to the regular outline (as if doing
artificial emboldening).  I remember seeing that in ftview, but I
thought it was intentional; evidently not, since with the new stroker
it renders the border only.

So, in summary:
  -- Yes, my program had a bug which ruined everything.
  -- The old stroker added the border outline to the glyph outline,
     resulting in a pseudo-bold glyph.
  -- The new stroker seems to work great.  Good work!