[ft] Hinting problem

From: Peter Weilbacher
Subject: [ft] Hinting problem
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 17:41:08 +0200

I'm using FreeType to render text in the OS/2 version of Firefox 3 and
users are reporting problems with certain characters in a few fonts
since I switched on font hinting. The main problem seems to be that the
'e' in the "Times New Roman" font shipping with OS/2 (Type 1 format)
displays almost like a 'c' at some font sizes. An example can be seen
here:
   https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=320335
I'm now basically wondering, if there is anything I can do about this.

I have now reproduced this using
   ftstring -m eComStation 16 TNR.PFB
on Linux (toggling hinting using the 'h' key shows the problem nicely).
How do I find out if the font is broken?

   Peter