Re: [ft] Hinting problem

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: [ft] Hinting problem
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:38:07 +0000

The version of TimesNewRoman that Adobe shiped with the Linux version of
acroread 5 shows the issue, too.  (It *is* probably the same font.)

The anomaly is evident at any size under 15 in ftdiff.

I can also see it in the version of MinionPro from acroread 7 at sizes
under 13 in ftdiff.  (In both cases run with only the font(s) as args.)

(As you probably are aware, acro5 shipped pfa versions of TNR and Arial
rather than Times and Helvetica as in acro4, and 7 replaced those with
MinionPro and MyriadPro.)

And it also happens in URW's NimbusRomanNo9L-Regu in sizes below 14.

I don't seem to have kept a copy of the acro4 fonts, so I can't test
Adobe's Times.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6