Re: [ft] Hinting problem

From: Peter Weilbacher
Subject: Re: [ft] Hinting problem
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 23:39:21 +0200

On 17.06.08 22:45, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
I'm using FreeType to render text in the OS/2 version of Firefox 3

Aah, since a long time we haven't had any reports of OS/2 users.

Well, I do stick my nose out here with stupid questions every now and
then.

The main problem seems to be that the 'e' in the "Times New Roman"
font shipping with OS/2 (Type 1 format) displays almost like a 'c'
at some font sizes. An example can be seen
here:
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=320335
I'm now basically wondering, if there is anything I can do about
this.

This is a very good question.  First of all, which FreeType version is
used on OS/2?  Is it directly part of Firefox?

I created a supporting library that contains both a special version of
FontConfig for OS/2 and much of the code from FreeType 2.3.6 (just
updated yesterday from 2.3.5), with very minor changes that are not
relevant to this problem. I just removed code for font formats that
aren't used on OS/2. That lib is then linked statically into one of the
Firefox DLLs, so that users don't need to download extra libs.

I have now reproduced this using
    ftstring -m eComStation 16 TNR.PFB
on Linux (toggling hinting using the 'h' key shows the problem
nicely).  How do I find out if the font is broken?

The very problem is that Type 1 hinting of FreeType is, hmm, not
optimal.  In many cases, the autohinter produces better results.

Can you send me this font privately for further investigation?

Done. Thanks in advance for anything that you can find out!
   Peter.