Re: [ft] Hinting problem

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Hinting problem
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:20:04 +0200 (CEST)

> The version of TimesNewRoman that Adobe shiped with the Linux
> version of acroread 5 shows the issue, too.  (It *is* probably the
> same font.)
>
> The anomaly is evident at any size under 15 in ftdiff.

For the OS/2 TNR font, the fix applied between 2.3.5 and 2.3.6
improves approximately 80% of the glyphs at small sizes, and it
degrades the appearance of approx. 5%.  It's unfortunate that the
letter `e' is part of the degradation, but I have to dig deep into the
PS hinting algorithm to find out how to fix this.  It will take some
time until I can really understand that code.

Please file a bug report at savannah so that the problem is not
forgotten.

As a workaround I suggest to use the autohinter for that particular
font.