Re: [ft] Outline decompose scaling

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Outline decompose scaling
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 16:39:36 +0200 (CEST)

> Probably using unscaled outlines is preferable if I want to reuse
> the same outline for different font sizes?  I mean scaling by
> pixelSize/ EM

Basically, you are correct.  However, there exist fonts (in particular
for CJK scripts) that give correct results only if hinted, since
subglyphs get scaled and moved with bytecode instructions.  Within
FreeType, such fonts are called `tricky'.  A solution for such fonts
is to scale them at size of ppem pixels, e.g. 2048px for most TrueType
fonts, but you probably don't need this.