Re: [ft] Question: linker errors when building freetype for iOS in Xcode

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Question: linker errors when building freetype for iOS in Xcode
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 16:49:26 +0200 (CEST)

> `./configure` and `./builds/unix/configure.ac` are identical in my
> post-`autogen.sh` git copy and my 2.5.3 archive copy of the source
> code (except for a handful of minor changes to letter casing in
> `configure.ac`).

This is expected, since `configure.ac' gets generated by applying a
simple sed command.

> Are there any other critical files that I can `diff`?

Well, `builds/unix/configure' itself!

> Is it not the case that the error message saying that it does not
> understand the macro name `AC_INIT`?

Yes.  And this is the central question: Why wasn't AC_INIT properly
expanded by the `autoconf' script?  This is something which looks
extremely implausible, since it should have generated a VERY big error
message...

> Could this be because a file is missing? Where does autoconf resolve
> these macro lookups from?

`autoconf' contains its data files in <prefix>/share/autoconf.

> `unix-def.mk` does not exist, and neither does `unix-cc.mk` in my
> git source code, but then they do not in the archive source code
> either. Are they supposed to be generated temporarily by `autoconf`
> and then deleted?

For historical reasons, `make' and `configure' are intertwined, and
those error messages happen one step later, because `configure'
doesn't correctly work.  Both `unix-cc.mk' and `unix-def.mk' are
generated by `configure' from the template files `unix-cc.in' and
`unix-def.in'.

> There are similarly named files in both copies of the `unix`
> directory.

Yes, a FreeType tarball comes with a generated `configure' script.

Another possible cause of failure is the used shell (it shouldn't,
though).  Please try to run `autogen.sh' within bash.