Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:59:55 +0000

Vanessa:
>  Did somebody read these texts?

That is what I am wondering.  Please at least read the summary of the seven
options, as you'll see just how much things have changed recently
(invalidating much of my information, and possibly some of agk's).

>  Why not planning a date on which we will vote the statutes
>  of affs?

IIRC, we have the following aims from the f2f meeting:

        Promoting Free Software in the UK
        Developing links with the UK media organisations
        Protection of Free Software in the UK.

Do we have any to add to that (eg localising Free Software to the UK)?  Do
we really want "in the UK" in the first of those?  We must make these aims
sufficiently general that all our activities are covered by them.

Once these are decided, it should be a case of filling in the blanks of a
sample constitution for the appropriate type of society.

>  Another thing we have to do is to decide what exactly AFFS will
>  do in next months.

I think we should split into two main subgroups as soon as we are formed.
One should start on a launch and recruitment PR campaign, while the other
should organise three events for the coming year: stands at the two Expos
with appropriate links with other groups, and the GNU Day idea, possibly for
late summer?

>  I will need soon people to read and correct this document.
>  Any volunteer?

I can try if you like.  My English is sometimes a little peculiar, after
years of working with a Japanese writer ;-)

>  Is there a web or a mailling list for UK associations about
>  these expos? This would preclude lots of work and free time
>  to be at these events.

The only one possibly useful at the moment is the uklugs list.

>  Linux expo Paris is from January 30 to February 1st 2002.
>  I suggest you to come & see it. April and FSFE will have
>  a stand as other French associations.

I'll see if I can... it depends on what the ticket prices are like and
whether I can spare enough time from work.  Is there a web site about it?
Can it be reached by train easily?

>  Well, I can't remember all of what was said yesterday on #affs.

Can anyone ever?  Is the NutLogger posting to anywhere accessible?

>  PS: As I know my English really needs to be improved,
>      please don't hesitate to correct me ;o)

Ah, you're doing fine.  Don't worry: it's far better than my French, I
think.  You even get the nastier bits of English right...
--
MJR