Re: [Fsfe-uk] UK Free software website aka resucittating thinkopen/linu

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] UK Free software website aka resucittating thinkopen/linuxuk
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 14:58:29 +0000

Rob Bradford wrote:

> Its time we had another go at throwing some energy towards developing a
> new site. As groups such as AFFS and FSFE have increased in activity
> since the demise of linuxuk/thinkopen i believe there is more demand and
> interest in such a site. And hopefully now a large band of dedicated
> people to help support it.
>
> Here are some issues i think we should discuss:
>
> Name: Do we try and reawaken thinkopen.co.uk or would it me more
> apropriate to have a new name/domain within the org.uk sld?

I think it would be more appropriate to make sur eyou have agreed aims,
then the name {ThinkOpen|LinuxUK|Whatever} can reflect those aims.

> Aims: Although we all know roughly what the site is aimed at i think it
> is important we get together some achieveable aims.
>
> Content: What do we want, news? features? links? advocacy? articles?

I think news and features with a specific UK leaning - something that
we re curreently lacking :-(

Advocacy will depend upon the target audience, however there is no
reason _not_ to include it :-)
Similarly links are probably not essential for the early audience to
this site, but will inevitably appear.

> Format: Do we want weblog style, a wierd hybrid or something totally
> new? If we go for a weblog, what software do we choose, or do we write
> our own?

A weblog (Web portal) of the phpnuke style would be most obvious. More important
would be a quick decision on a flexible system so that all those involved
can quickly get up and running, and concentrating on content :-)

> Audience: Who are we aimed at?

Possibly the biggest area of debate?

> Here are just some questions we need to ask, as far as hosting of the
> site is concerned i have a community server which already hosts several
> free software sites.

One less thing to worry about =o)

I discoverred that address@hidden still seemed to exist
several weeks ago and sent an e-mail offering to help with any revival of
LinuxUK/ThinkOpen.
I heard back from Dave Smith, but no one else. :-(

Are there enough people interested (and with time available) to
revive the idea?

- Richard

--

Richard Smedley