Re: [Fsfe-uk] Lobbying

From: Imran Ghory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Lobbying
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 23:51:34 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Ramin Nakisa wrote:

> I would like to use the arguments we've drafted to start lobbying the
> government to use Free Software more widely in public services.  Does anyone
> know how to go about this?

I did some searches and turned up the following statement by Charlotte
Atkins (MP for Staffordshire Moorlands) made in '99,

 "To ask the Secretary of State for Education and
Employment what assessment he has made of the Linux computer operating
system and its potential for reducing the costs of school computer
systems. "

Maybe someone should contact her and ask if she has seen any developments
in this area ?

On a related note, one source for background information on Linux in
schools that we could be used for lobbying is the UK Schools SuSe mailing
list (http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-uk-schools/).

Imran