Re: [Fsfe-uk] GNU/Linux

From: ralph
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] GNU/Linux
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:39:35 +0000

Hi John,

> > Just use `Linux'. Trying to explain it isn't worthwhile since it
> > isn't of importance to your audience *at this stage* and the single
> > page of A4 has already become slightly crammed IMHO compared to the
> > earlier version. We can't spare the space on something that isn't
> > important to them.
>
> It is my understanding that one will not work without the other,

No, I don't see any reason why you can't run the Linux kernel with
processes of your choosing.  In fact, much embedded Linux use probably
does just that.

> also that when the `Hurd' project comes to fruition `Linux' will be
> able to run without Linux, and how is that to be explained to the
> Public?

People will say `I run Linux' or `I run Hurd' and in both cases be
referring to the OS plus the bundle of GNU and *BSD* and *MIT* programs
around it.

Cheers,

Ralph.