Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing

From: Imran Ghory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:19:19 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, MJ Ray wrote:
> Imran Ghory <address@hidden> wrote:
> > (See for yourself, ask some pseudo-random people what they recognize by
> > the name "Linux" and what they think "GNU/Linux" is)
>
> An unreliable sample of four (done individually) suggests that they don't
> really seem to know the difference and claim both are the same thing.  Argh!

That's the whole point, people use the term Linux to refer to the OS, I
don't think I've ever heard anyone use the term "GNU/Linux"
conversationally IRL most just use the term Linux.

> [What is GNU]
> > Things which are the core of an OS, system resource managing software,
> > file system software, compiler/assembler. Basically utilities rather then
> > apps.
>
> Sounds like you need educating.  There are GNU apps too.

I know that, I meant that's what I understood someone meant when they
reffered to the GNU in GNU/Linux. I'm perfectly aware that the majority of
GNU development in probably in apps now, but I've always assumed that
people didn't mean the apps when saying GNU/Linux, otherwise why not say
GNU/KDE/XFree86/Moz/SDL/Linux ?

Imran