[Fsfe-uk] Re: Clarification needed

From: Richard Ibbotson
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Clarification needed
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:14:01 +0000

Alex

> don't produce a Free GNU/Linux distribution. You can't make copies
> of SuSE Linux for your friends. In fact, I don't think you can even
> get installable evaluation editions anymore. Why should we support
> companies who only produce proprietary software?

Strangely enough there has been a very long thread about copying SuSE
CDs on the SuSE list over the past week or so.  One of the e-mails
contained a reply from <address@hidden>  which explained that copying
the CDs for commercial gain is not allowed.  But, if you were to copy
the CDs and give them to a friend then that is okay.  This is almost
always the reply that I get back from them myself.

If however you write to the American office at <address@hidden> -
Christopher Mahmood (I think ?) - then the answer from him is that
you are only allowed to install one copy of SuSE software into any
machine anywhere and if you copy a CD then the American office will
sue you.  This is not in line with the way that the German managers
think or do things.

So, who is right or wrong here ?

Thanks

--