Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Clarification needed

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Clarification needed
Date: 26 Mar 2002 07:20:41 +0000

On Mon, 2002-03-25 at 19:14, Richard Ibbotson wrote:
> > don't produce a Free GNU/Linux distribution. You can't make copies
> > of SuSE Linux for your friends. In fact, I don't think you can even
> > get installable evaluation editions anymore. Why should we support
> > companies who only produce proprietary software?
>

> Strangely enough there has been a very long thread about copying SuSE
> CDs on the SuSE list over the past week or so.

Well, the problem was always YaST - I don't know whether the licence has
changed or not since I last looked, but it used to say that you were not
allowed to copy the binaries at all, so that basically ruled out copying
SuSE as a whole (without YaST, you have no installer, so SuSE minus YaST
is problematic ;).

Unless the licence to YaST has changed, I would say it's still likely
that SuSE is non-Free software.