[Fsfe-uk] Re: Clarification needed

From: Richard Ibbotson
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Clarification needed
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 07:47:51 +0000

Alex

> Unless the licence to YaST has changed, I would say it's still
> likely that SuSE is non-Free software.

Yes, couldn't argue with that.  But, SuSE Gmbh still tell me that
it's okay to copy the CDs for personal use and not commercial gain.

I'm just trying to explain what it is that SuSE Gmbh have said to me
over the years and point out that some of our American friends seem
to think that they can ignore head office in Germany and rip off a
lot of people.  Or, at least.. ... that's way it's been put to me.

In my last trip to the States a few weeks ago quite a few U.S
citizens did say to me the similar words which were "This entire
country is greed central".  Other variations on this were that
something should be done about it.  Being your average Brit and being
subject to local legal stuff I'm not sure if I'm all that interested
in American affairs.

I did sit down and have a longish chat to the CEO of The Kompany.
He's a nice chap.  Like most of us he is trying to earn a crust.
Unfortunately when it comes to legal and political stuff our American
friends would seem to be of the opinion that money and lots of it is
all that matters.  Hancom office sets out to provide a low cost
alternative to MS Office which it does and for Linux and Windows.
So, the licence may not be good but the incentive to cut back the
greed is.  Perhaps this is more important than anything else ?
Certainly a lot of Americans would agree with that way of thinking.

Thanks

--
Richard

www.sheflug.co.uk