[Fsfe-uk] Government and IT

From: Nick Hockings
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Government and IT
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 23:28:34 +0200 (SAST)

The Economist magazine (Government and IT, 4th May 2002) reports that not only
is government the largest buyer of IT, it gets exrordinaril poor value for
money. The inland revenue had a &1.4 Bn overrun from a single contractor. (Yes
10^9 not 10^6.)

(NB These were all-inclusive hardware, software, implementation and maintenance
contracts.)

The MPs who spend our money on this also write the legislation that may
threaten free software. They should have some interest in value for money, and
their (our?) liberty.

1) Are any companies bidding for government contracts with free software based
solutions?

2) Are we making arguments to MPs based on the financial aspects of liberty?.
(ie If the solution is free software based you can fire the contractor without
binning the project.)

3) Are there any examples of better ways for large institutions to implement
IT? (eg Decentralized, each office looks after its own LAN, and outward
connections. This might involve free software development methods applied to
the physical network as well as sharing actual software.)

Nick Hockings

<address@hidden>,
<address@hidden>,
<address@hidden>