Re: [Fsfe-uk] FW: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Fwd: RM Cache server

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] FW: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Fwd: RM Cache server
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 10:41:16 +0100

> Chris Puttick wrote:
>
> RM have apparently started selling a proxy server based on Squid - this
> information came to light when an RM customer asked a Linux knowledgeable
> friend to modify something. It became apparent they had no root privileges
> on the username(s) provided, or the source, just a pre-installed computer.
> It was recommended that the customer request the source as per GPL
> entitlement. See below for the response so far...

Can you get your friend to contact myself or one of the other
committee members? We can then contact RM and 'gently' explain
the GNU/GPL to them.

I expect that the chap who sent the answer to your friend
was not deliberately speaking from a position of trying
to break the licence agreement - just from not understanding.

- Richard

--

Richard Smedley
Production Editor, Linux Format