Re: [Fsfe-uk] Question on hot to start a university initiative

From: Illtud Daniel
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Question on hot to start a university initiative
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 10:44:39 +0100

Bernd Dittmann wrote:

> I am currently an undergraduate Student at the University of St Andrews
> and have realised after my change from Germany that "Stallman's word" has
> not spread as far as I expected (measured on German standards).
> To my disappointment I have realised that GNU/Linux or any other free OS
> or software is widely unknown, let alone any support in these matters.

Are you sure? The St Andrews computing society run linux on
their servers: http://wired.st-andrews.ac.uk/info/hardware.php

Mark Hindley, the Director of the Music Centre (dunno if he's
still there?), has posted to the linux-kernel mailing list
and contributed to Lilypond, the GNU music typesetter.

I've found UK universities to be funny with regard to Free
Software - some have a very high visibility of linux/*BSD/GNU,
whilst others seem to be a complete MS shop, til you dig
a bit deeper and usually find a community of hackers. Take
a peep in the computing labs late at night...

--
Illtud Daniel                                 address@hidden
Uwch Ddadansoddwr Systemau                       Senior Systems Analyst