Re: [Fsfe-uk] Question on hot to start a university initiative

From: Imran Ghory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Question on hot to start a university initiative
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 00:33:23 +0100

On 1 Jul 2002, at 10:44, Illtud Daniel wrote:
> I've found UK universities to be funny with regard to Free
> Software - some have a very high visibility of linux/*BSD/GNU,
> whilst others seem to be a complete MS shop, til you dig
> a bit deeper and usually find a community of hackers.

Maybe someone should make a list up of UK Universities, their
computer societies and their relationship with free software.

At the university I'm at (Bristol) the enviroment is relative ambivalent
towards linux, the computer science department have a linux lab,
and the computing services helpdesk do offer support for some
areas of Linux (networking mainly) but nothing much else.

There isn't a university LUG, but the computer society does offer
Linux Shell accounts/webspace which runs mostly free software. I
believe St. Andrews comp society does the same.

I would suspect that most universities are the same.

> Take
> a peep in the computing labs late at night...

Once I went into a lab very early morningish and found one person
sitting alone in the dark playing a MUD, he seemed a bit enveloped
though so I didn't disturb him :-)

Imran
--
TheOpenCD Project