Re: [Fsfe-uk] open office in schools (was Microsoft 'hoovers millions)

From: Marc Eberhard
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] open office in schools (was Microsoft 'hoovers millions)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:37:55 +0100

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 10:27:59AM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> I'd like to create a draft letter to fire off to offending information
> providers to explain the problems that word documents cause. Does anyone

> have a simple solution that could be presented to the agencies involved?
> AFAIK exporting a document from Word to PDF requires that you purchase a
> copy of an Adobe product to obtain the PDF file printer driver.

True. If formatting should be preserved to some extend you can try HTML and
RTF. Word can save files in both formats, I have been told. Another
possibility is to install a PostScript printer driver (several are included
in the standard Win distros) and print to a file.

If someone knows of a Free Software PDF converter / printer driver for
Windows, I would be very interested too.

Bye,
Marc

email: address@hidden, address@hidden
email: address@hidden, web: http://www.aston.ac.uk/~eberhama/