Re: [Fsfe-uk] open office in schools (was Microsoft 'hoovers millions)

From: Martyn Ranyard
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] open office in schools (was Microsoft 'hoovers millions)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:41:15 +0100

At 10:27 AM 7/29/02 +0100, address@hidden wrote:
I noticed the same problem when I was looking for information in Luton Borough
Council's web site. They have copies of forms on there in word format. What's
more they cannot be read using Word 95, which in itself should be used to
point out that such document formats exclude a significant proportion of
the intended audience.

If the installs are legitimate, then installing the filters for Word 6/95 and RTF is no problem, which corroborates your statements below.

I believe that one of the chief problems here is that the powers that be
assume that most computers users have Word, and a little deeper thought
on the subject would lead me to suggest that this is only the case because
so many people are using unlicensed copies of MS Office. The conspiracy
theorists out there can fill in the rest of the blanks ;-)

Well, using FAST as a threat might get them to do something, like using OOo.

I'd like to create a draft letter to fire off to offending information providers
to explain the problems that word documents cause. Does anyone have a simple
solution that could be presented to the agencies involved? AFAIK exporting
a document from Word to PDF requires that you purchase a copy of an Adobe
product to obtain the PDF file printer driver.

Oh yes. Install Ghostscript either on every client machine or on a SAMBA server, which can create PDFs from postscript files. The Adobe print driver is "free" (Little F) and all versions of windows that I know of have the Apple LaserWriter (a postscript-only printer) which can be configured to output postscript.

As a company (that I work for), we are currently setting up a solution based on GNU/Linux that will create PDFs from anything - that is - paper (scanner), any app that can print (postscript) and even monitors (screen scrape). If you think that we should approach them, let us know, I'll leave the timing (before or after your letter) to your discretion.

Cheers,
Jim Halfpenny

Hope something comes of it.

Martyn Ranyard