Re: [Fsfe-uk] open office in schools (was Microsoft 'hoovers millions)

From: Martin WHEELER
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] open office in schools (was Microsoft 'hoovers millions)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:38:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 address@hidden wrote:

> I noticed the same problem when I was looking for information in Luton Borough
> Council's web site. They have copies of forms on there in word format. What's
> more they cannot be read using Word 95, which in itself should be used to
> point out that such document formats exclude a significant proportion of
> the intended audience.

May I suggest that an effective way to deal with this would be by
pillorying the politicos who perpetrate such outrages; and that the best
way to accomplish this might be by publishing a public site which lists
ALL offenders, with URL, giving their political party affiliation; and
offering spurious awards to the week's biggest offender?

Last year, I also used the following sig. to great effect:

 www.gateway.gov.uk  --  the UK government's £18M Microsoft-only website
         -- "all your government database are belong to us" --

(Two or three e-mails to half-a-dozen selected MPs, and they went ape.)

msw
--
Martin Wheeler       -        StarTEXT - Glastonbury - BA6 9PH - England
address@hidden                       http://www.startext.co.uk/