Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Schools etc. [was:RE: accu-general: Where to setup web

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Schools etc. [was:RE: accu-general: Where to setup web site]
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:04:46 +0100

Paul wrote:

Hi,

I don't think private companies are a good idea.
Why not? We are a private company and we are more able and less
expensive than a lot of public sector provision that actually insists
schools don#t use free software.

Yours is a private company working in the education sector. One of the
ideas floated by the current Govt is to have the likes of McDonalds or
even MS working in schools - that is, companies who don't know the first
thing about how education works
Hold on.
These are not just private companies.
These are well known villains ...one a convicted criminal .... who do not respect their users freedom.
Reckless multinational  is more fitting.

(much like the Government!)

Hmm...

When I hear of a private company I think in terms of what Ian is reffering to.

[...]

Why Sony? What the f do they know about education?

[...]

I used Sony for two reasons. First is that in education, Sony is willing
to give away hardware for teaching purposes for nothing and secondly as
they are probably the best company for marketting in the world. It was
once said that if the next product Sony made was a cardboard box with a
hole in the bottom, that a month after the launch, everyone would be
using them!
I will not want my kids to use such ______...nor would I want them to use what the Beckahams squeal over the adverts ..... Education should be treated more respectfully IMHO if not as something very sacred. Businesses that live off it should pay greater attention than usual to respect the freedoms of the end users.
Surely, whether these businesses are private or not is non issue, here.

Regards,

Ramanan