Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Schools etc. [was:RE: accu-general: Where to setup web

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Schools etc. [was:RE: accu-general: Where to setup web site]
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:59:36 +0100

Hi Paul,

> > > and RISC OS in quite a few others...
> >
> > Marginal apps in Pace set top boxes? I think free software is likely
> > to take over this especially as hardware capacity increases.
>
> As Ralph said this morning, RISC OS was good as it had a very small
> footprint and was pretty versatile.

I don't think I complimented it on its versatility.

   "RO isn't ideal for NCs anymore, and just about manages for STBs, but
    has fundamental flaws regarding memory management, e.g. much code
    and data stored in RMA which is readable/writable by any user
    process, it's networking isn't great, source code not available,
    etc.

   "One reason for using it is if it's in-house IPR in the first place,
    e.g.  Pace.  Another in the past was its small foot-print.  Neither
    of those hold as the foot-print size matters less and free OS can
    fit the bill."

Cheers,

Ralph.