Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Schools etc. [was:RE: accu-general: Where to setup web

From: Martin WHEELER
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Schools etc. [was:RE: accu-general: Where to setup web site]
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:20:31 +0000 (UTC)

On 13 Jul 2003, Paul wrote:

> just
> about all machines sold have Windoze on it in some form or another. What
> better advert can you have than to say that most machines come with
> their product on it? They have no need of marketing - others do it for
> them :-(

Not only that, all keyboards now come with 2 keytops sporting the
Windows logo.
Wouldn't it be nice if all schools mandated that these should be
replaced with blank keytops; or better still, one with a friendly little
penguin on it?

More practical: How many teachers have the courage to face getting the
sack for actively promoting a campaign of allowing students to change
these keytops themselves, wherever they came across them?  Or regularly
and persistently allowing their defacement, until the offending logo is
removed from all school equipment?

When I was a child being educated in (N.) English schools in the 1940s
and 50s, it was carefully explained to me by my parents that neither my
school nor my teachers were legally able to force me to attend any
form of church service.  Whether I did so or not was entirely up to me.
At the age of eleven I stuck out for my rights and refused to be forced
into religious practice -- the only one out of 650 in the school to do
so.  The Headmaster held me up to ridicule in morning assembly; others
told me I was surely damned, and would go to hell.
(I didn't believe them; and didn't care. By the end of the decade fully
one-fifth of pupils in that school had followed my example.)

I do not believe that any school in the UK has the right or the need to
forcibly inculcate young minds in the use of proprietary software.  I
believe that, economies of scale notwithstanding, any child in the UK
has the inalienable right to choice; and should exercise this right,
whatever the initial cost in rejection by school, teachers, or friends.

Please spread this idea wherever you go; until the effects become
tangible and unstoppable.

I have seen one eighteen-year old stick out for this principle
throughout his school career, without any detrimental effect.
In completing his A and AS levels, he illustrated all his practical
work using GNU/Linux; and where forced to use Microsoft products by the
dictates of the syllabus, did the absolute minimum he could get away
with.

And teachers themselves should start worrying about the possibility of
future legal action: "My child's whole future was compromised by you
forcing him at an early age into using proprietary and unsuitable
software -- I intend to sue."

You really think it couldn't happen?
Wait until someone realises just how much money that claim is worth.
address@hidden                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/