Re: [Fsfe-uk] List status (please read ;)

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] List status (please read ;)
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 10:00:13 +0100

On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 09:45, Ramanan Selvaratnam wrote:
> why do I think this organised PR mechanism will have to be private (for
> those chosen ones and those who step forward)? Even if it is mailing
> list it has to be private.

Hmm, I'd not necessarily be inclined to go in that direction, although I
know what you mean. I would expect more off-list discussion in -pr (as
there is currently) than other places. Given PR is essentially about
message/spin, you don't necessarily want the scaffolding always
viewable. But, most of the things we're talking about at the moment
don't really need to be private at all.

> I like the idea of keeping in touch via Jabber and do not think it is
> too much of a task to teach someone totally new a process of how to use
> a groupworking software....

Well, there is an #affs irc channel on OFTC. I'm told you can gateway
irc into your favourite system these days, so effectively we're on
Jabber too :D

> have you seen Gforge? <http://www.gforge.org>

It's probably a little heavy for our needs at the moment. I would think
we'd go more down the wiki route, where anyone can play in the sandbox.
I'm a little wary of creating 'infrastructure' rather than 'product', if
you see what I mean.

> More will accumulate before we know. We are in the UK and there is no
> one else doing such AFAIK.

Hmm, that reminds me - I'm currently putting together a list of UK free
software / open source - interested organisations, for publication
somewhere (probably affs.org.uk). This has come about because I put one
together for another organisation who were looking to 'research the
scene', as it were. The whole free software directory thing will happen,
in one way or another ;) At some point, I'll put out what I have, and it
would be useful for people to comment on.

> One thing that was never clear was why not host FSFE-UK under FSFE?

Hysterical raisins, mainly.

fsfe-uk was setup while the FSFE was still very young, and I think the
obvious place to put these lists was gnu.org at the time. I agree, at
the moment it would make more sense for it to be hosted at the FSFE
servers. Certainly, I think fsfe-uk was around for about a year (maybe
less) before AFFS even started, which explains the somewhat crufty
structure.