[Fsfe-uk] sponsorship and funding

From: Brian Gough
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] sponsorship and funding
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:13:00 +0100

I'm just a post a few thoughts to catch up since I wasn't able to
respond to earlier messages.

Sponsorship.  I didn't realise earlier that sponsorship included
non-monetary support, which is quite different.  Also looking back my
comments might have been (or seemed) too harsh.

I am certainly in favor of promoting companies that give money to
AFFS, and all our existing sponsors such as Positive Internet and
Cyberware.  We do need to make sure that they get a financial return
on their sponsorship, if we want to continue to receive it, which I'm
sure we can do tastefully.

Funding.  I agree with Marc's proposal of a panel to review proposals
following the academic model.  I think it's important that donated
money should be handled in a fully accountable way, even if it means
decisions cannot be taken quickly.

  -- members should be informed of proposals and given a period to
     comment on them to the panel (e.g. it has already been done!)

  -- panel decisions should be minuted and available to members

  -- limit amount to any single project (say 25%)

For quick "expenses" type payments for conferences etc authorised by
the committee we should look to AFFS fund-raising from members
(e.g. introduce a supporting member rate).

--
Brian