Re: [Fsfe-uk] feedback: Messaging Client - GAIM

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] feedback: Messaging Client - GAIM
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:25:48 +0000

On 2004-01-11 22:45:08 +0000 Martyn <address@hidden> wrote:

** Yahoo! webcams (not enhanced - this has still not been reimplemented) use patented JPEG-2000 format - this is a big problem, so the code is there to use libjasper, but if you have issues with using patented algos, don't install libjasper, and the resultant binary has no dependance upon the patent-encumbered code.

I think it's a problem if you want to avoid things that aren't free software because of copyright licensing, regardless of patent problems. JasPer's JPEG-2000 codec licence has a nasty term in it, saying that derived works can only be used to implement that standard. I think that stops it being free software, restricting your modifications. There's more discussion on debian-legal about that in the last month and I'd be surprised if FSF disagreed with that. http://lists.debian.org/ E&OE.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden