Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: [centres] Re: Free Libre Open Source Software

From: Paul
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: [centres] Re: Free Libre Open Source Software
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 14:44:33 +0000

Hi,

> > Ouch! I still can't understand people using hotmail and MSN when Yahoo
> > provide the same service, but without the spam and tiedowns.
>
> I don't use either but from what I have seen the hotmail interface is a
> bit more colourful isn't it? Actually I  am hoping to get them all mail
> accounts locally so they can read this mail when they log in.

Have you thought of having a word with Jason to see if UKPost will do
you a bulk deal? I'm currently paying a fiver a year for my UKPost email
box and it's provided totally top-notch service, plus has a really
friendly web based interface.

> As for the MS "preference" it's not surprising given the fact that
> schools appear to be teaching them that MS is the only game in town,
> although it seems a few of them have not yet been convinced gaming on
> Xbox is one of these games.

My views on education and MS are well known and thankfully, there are
quite a number of education authorities and independant schools moving
over. There are even places using gcc with Anjuta or kdevelop as their
default programming environment and OOo as the default office package.

The idea of freeing up education so they are not tied into one supplier
and should get the best for their money, is, IMO, complete bumpkin. If
they were doing that, then we would be seeing a rather rapid vanishing
act by MS as Licence 6 and the cost of continued patching, hack attacks,
virus protection and everything else MS products are prone to doesn't
represent anything nearing good value for money.

TTFN

Paul
--
One OS to fool them all