[Fsfe-uk] hsbc browser access

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] hsbc browser access
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 13:39:56 +0000

Hi,

I'm trying to get to the HSBC to complain about their browser policy (no support for firefox or safari, and they've just broken firefox access to the business account site). But the techsupport people won't give me any name of someone higher up to complain to; does anyone know what kind of job role in the banking system is likely to decide this kind of policy - which unfortunately seems to be global - and how to go about finding an address for them?

Thanks
Graham
PS. If anyone else runs into this, the actual problem is a simple-minded javascript browser type check on a redirection page, and it is possible to bypass it by cutting and pasting the redirect address from the page source. But given the fact that they aren't supporting modern browsers on principle, they could make it completely impossible to get access at any time.

Dear Graham Seaman

Thank you for using the feedback facility for our Internet Banking service.

In regards to the problem accessing your account details using the Internet
banking service.

At present we do not support the use of the Mozilla Firefox browser. The browsers supported are Internet Explorer version 5.5 and above, Netscape Navigator version 4.75 and above on Windows 98 and above. On an Apple MAC version 10.0 and above only Netscape Navigator version 6.2 and above.
You will be able to access the Internet banking service using this browser at
the address www.hsbc.co.uk

If you require further assistance, please call us on 0845 600 2290 (within UK)
or +44 1226 261226 (outside UK).  Minicom support is available on 0845 7125563.
 The Internet Banking Helpdesk is open from Monday to Sunday 8.00am to 10.00pm
(UK times).

Kind Regards

Bindhiya Ahamed
Technical Support Representative