Re: [Fsfe-uk] Young Greens moving on FS

From: Tom Chance
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Young Greens moving on FS
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 21:45:15 +0000

On Friday 25 Feb 2005 21:33, Lee Braiden wrote:
> On Friday 25 February 2005 21:19, P.L.Hayes wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:17:22 +0000
> >
> > Tom Chance <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > - Uni students who are short on cash and have open minds
> > >  - Schools, libraries and other public institutions
> >
> > Why restrict the focus to students short of cash? For a maths/science
> > student at least, I don't think there is any realistically affordable
> > alternative to what is available in the FLOSS world.
>
> Agreed.  To me, students are the most likely to be interested in ethics.
> After all, they're famous for ecological protests etc.

Well that's a bit of a myth, really. The number of students actually involved
in any kind of protest activity is a minority, and the number *actively*
involved is even smaller. In my Uni, out of approx 14,000 students only
around 100 are doing any kind of campaigning. Take the slice of those then
interested in technology and you're left with, well, not many :-)

Students aren't that different to most other people in that regard. But
they're very conscious of their cash flow problems (even if they've got
plenty) so it seems like a good move to me.

Of course the Greens are most interested in the ethics, but the cash issue for
students is a good hook.

Regards,
Tom