Re: [Fsfe-uk] Young Greens moving on FS

From: Tom Chance
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Young Greens moving on FS
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 13:18:50 +0000

On Friday 25 Feb 2005 23:52, Joe Llywelyn Griffith Blakesley wrote:
> I didn't know anything was happening on this front and I'm a "Young
> Green" who is on all the GP mailing lists (and who has just spent today
> leafleting my town with GP election stuff and trying to start a
> free-software society at my uni--good ideas for this anyone?).  Do you
> know who is actually behind this idea?

It seems to be some people from the Liverpool YG group. Chris (surname
unknown) has emailed me back about it. I found out about it from a few
circulars that were passed on to me by a friend who used to work in the GP HQ
press office.

> There have been pro-free-software
> policies put forward for GP AGMs but because of the beuracracy and limited
> time at AGMs they never happened (although Wales Green Party officially
> endeavors to use free software internally where such software is available
> for a given application). I'm sure there is no real problem with such
> policies however, as, in my experience, a very large proportion of GP
> members use free software (and the rest are sympathetic).

That's interesting. What I'm trying to do, based on the strong links between
the German young greens and the German free software community, and between
the Green-EFA alliance and the FFII/FSFE on the European level, is forge some
stronger links between the UK Greens and the AFFS. After all, if both groups
want to promote free software in schools, libraries and to students it only
makes sense.

If you're an active YG in your area, then the help would be welcome!

Kind regards,
Tom