Re: [Fsfe-uk] Young Greens moving on FS

From: Joe Llywelyn Griffith Blakesley
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Young Greens moving on FS
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:52:20 +0000

I didn't know anything was happening on this front and I'm a "Young
Green" who is on all the GP mailing lists (and who has just spent today
leafleting my town with GP election stuff and trying to start a
free-software society at my uni--good ideas for this anyone?).  Do you
know who is actually behind this idea?  There have been pro-free-software
policies put forward for GP AGMs but because of the beuracracy and limited
time at AGMs they never happened (although Wales Green Party officially
endeavors to use free software internally where such software is available
for a given application). I'm sure there is no real problem with such
policies however, as, in my experience, a very large proportion of GP
members use free software (and the rest are sympathetic).

>>In my Uni, out of approx 14,000 students only around 100 are doing any
kind of campaigning.<<

I think the point is that students are the most apathetic group except all
the rest (because some of them are young and idealistic, and they cannot
be totally brain-dead if they are at uni).  I think you'll find that the
proportion of the general population who are apathetic about politics,
ethics, &c is higher than 0.993% (and that may of the other students would
probably do passive campaigning on many issues--like signing petitions), or
maybe I'm just being cynical.

Obviously, this is just a slight trend and like all stereotypes probably
best avoided.

Yours,
Joe Ll. G. Blakesley

P.S. Off topic: I would be very grateful if anyone has used WiFi could
email me privately if they have an opinion on whether it is as reliable as
cables within a small terrace house as I'm moving into a house with some
fellow students who want Wifi--personally I'm not fussed as I don't have
any portables.  (I did also come up with the somewhat insane ideas of Wifi
transmitters in ceiling lightbulb sockets connected to PLC (if we need
multiple ones and would like the reliability of cables for some stuff)).

--
This mail sent through http://webmail.bangor.ac.uk