[Fsfe-uk] Re: AbiWord format

From: John Seago
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: AbiWord format
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:25:27 +0000

I have to admit that normally when CC'ing a document by email I normally
run the cut and paste thingy over it and paste it into the body of the
Email as plain text.

However my complaint against the Healthcare Commission is that they could
not read my attachment. If I were to write a post card in block capitals
in pencil, they could read that, were I to send a letter in Braille, Urdu,
Welsh, Scots Gaelic or any other of a number of languages they would
accommodate me. If I were to write in an almost illegible hand in a sealed
letter they would still manage to decipher it. In fact were I to use
almost any form of written communication and transmit it by the Royal Mail
it would eventually receive an answer, no matter how illegible, or in what
language. Yet an electronic form of word processing, in English, they are
unable to read, why? When they make all the other efforts to accommodate
other methods of communication, why should those using specific forms of
electronic communication be at a disadvantage? One factor which increases
my ire, is that I am paying for this with my taxes, and the Welsh who can
get an answer in their own language make up only 1.9% of the population,
(see: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/uk.html#People ),
and only about 26% of those actually speak Welsh.

Now all of you have kindly explained the reason that AbiWord doesn't work
I'm not quite so cross, It is in fact, to the best of my recollection, the
first time I've ever used an attachment. The original reason for making a
complaint in the first place had me seething anyway, and the notification
that couldn't read my attachment, just exacerbated matters. I will in
future have to cease using AbiWord.

--
John Seago
GNU/Linux User #219566 http://counter.li.org