Re: [Fsfe-uk] Proposed roadmap

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Proposed roadmap
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:30:51 +0100

I don't think the suggested meeting will happen now, so let's
crack on belatedly along Tom's roadmap and see where we can get.

Tom Chance <address@hidden> wrote:

> =DOCUMENTING=
> For the current committee and active members
> 1. What are the AFFS' aims?
>    - produce a really quick bullet point list

These are the 5 numbered points on http://www.affs.org.uk/about :-
    1. to promote and advance the knowledge, development, use and
       application of Free Software pioneered by the Free Software
       Foundation and others.
    2. to facilitate the exchange of information and views on the use and
       development of Free Software.
    3. to inform upon the subject of Free Software.
    4. to encourage internationalisation and localisation of Free
       Software.
    5. to ensure the continued legal existence of Free Software within
       the United Kingdom.

> 2. How does the AFFS currently operate? What are its current activities?
>    - produce a structure guideline

I'm not entirely clear what this means. Maybe something like

  executive <<ELECTED FROM<< membership  IN free software community IN society
  committee >>>REPORTS TO>>> association

                          ASSOCIATED WITH

                             FSF Europe - SISTER OF - FSF Inc

>    - produce slightly expanded bullet point list, with details on who does
>      what (not who it is open to, but who actually executes it)

This may be out-of-date with recent changes to committee membership
that I might have misunderstood or not known about:

* Money
  * Memberships : Alex
  * Donations : Alex
  * Grants
    * requests : community
    * decisions : committee
    * payments : Alex
* Communication
  * Email frontdesk : Alex, Brian, Adam
  * Website : Alex, Brian
  * Newsletter
    * writing : members
    * editing : Alex
    * review : committee
    * sending : Alex
  * Consultation response : members
* Promotion
  * Conferences : Chris, Ian
  * Exhibitions : committee, members
  * Press : none at present? was Richard, Kevin recently

> =GATHERING INPUT=
> For all, to be well publicised, with outreach exercises to organisations
> like LUGS, Schoolforge UK, etc.
> 3. What should the AFFS' aims be?
>    - let the people amend the 'official' version of affairs
>    - deadline: 3rd August
> 4. What activities should the AFFS pursue to achieve its goals?
>    - with some guideline text to avoid daft suggestions
>    - deadline: 3rd August
>
> =FORMULATING PROPOSALS=
> For all, to be mentioned in publicity for input phase
> 5. How can the AFFS pursue those activities and choose its goals?
>    - take stock of input, formulate strategies
>    - should produce some idea of structure of organisation

I'd suggest everyone asks a group they know:

 There is an Association For Free Software in the UK. You can read
 a bit about them at http://www.affs.org.uk/ - I support them and
 I'm helping to review the project. Could readers of this message
 please email me and tell me:

  * What should the UK free software community aim to achieve?
  * Which of these could an association help to happen?
  * What activities would be the most useful to do that?

 I'll send/take your comments with me to the national meeting on
 13 August 2005, so please email me as soon as you can. If you'd
 like to take part in a follow-up discussion, please tell me.

 Thanks, ...

but give it a day for improvements to be sent to fsfe-uk ;-)

--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/